LESSON FOUR: WHAT IS THE WHOLE CHURCH?
- In this lesson, we shall discuss “What is the whole church.”
- There are three items which we shall discuss as follows:
- Each Christian in subjection to Christ, the Head.
- Every member equal under Christ.
- Love, interest, and cooperation among all.
- EACH CHRISTIAN IS IN SUBJECTION TO CHRIST, THE HEAD
- Lesson three taught that the whole church is made up of every Christian in the world.
- The whole Church is the Spiritual body of Christ made up of all congregations.
- Jesus is the Head of this great body of believers. (Col. 1:18, 24).
- Christ is the only head of His body, just as our human body has only one head.
- Every Christian is subject to Christ, just as all the parts of our physical body obeys the head.
- Jesus has been given by God all authority in heaven and on earth (Matt 28:18).
- He gave His instructions to His body through His word, the Bible. (Matt.28:19)
- Every true Christian in all the world is in subjection to Christ, the head and is a part of His spiritual body, the Church.
- EVERY MEMBER IS EQUAL UNDER CHRIST
- As members of the body of Christ, all Christians are equal.
- They have no head except Christ.
- They are under no authority but His word.
- No member has any authority, power or position over another member in the whole church.
- No member or group of members controls other members.
- According to 1 Cor.12:4-6, members have been given different abilities in the whole church, but no superiority has been given.
- Also according to 1 Cor. 12:12- 24, members have been given different tasks based on their abilities, but no member is elevated above any other.
Therefore, every member in the whole church or body of Christ, is equal under Christ, the head.
- LOVE, INTEREST AND COOPERATION SHOULD BE AMONG ALL.
- All Christians should love all other Christians as brethren.
- They are all in the same family of God. (1 John 3:1)
- INTEREST: All members should be interested in the affairs of other members.
- All Christians are all part s of one body. (1 Cor. 12:12,13)
- All races, tribes, ethnicity etc. are equal in the body of Christ.
- WOMEN: Women are as valuable to Christ as men are valuable to Him. (Gal.3:26-28)
- Interest in Other Congregations: As fellow members of the same body of Christ, Christians everywhere and anywhere should be interested in all congregations.
- No Division: There should never be any type of schism or division in Christs’ body. (1 Cor. 12:25-26).
- All members should care for one another.
- If one member suffers, all the other members suffer along.
- If one member is honored, all other members rejoice (1Cor.12:25-26)
Therefore, in the Spiritual body of Christ, we must have love, interest, and cooperation for all other members.
Prepared by Joseph J. Foray Snr. (Elder/Minister. Church of Christ, Oforikrom Assembly, Kumasi, Ghana)