I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as being perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Philippians 3:14,15.
We can grow spiritually by:
- Forgetting the Past and Focusing on the Future. As the apostle Paul said, forgetting what lies behind and focusing on what lies ahead. He pressed toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Whether good or bad, leave the past behind and strive forward for excellence in Christ. Avoid dwelling on past mistakes, failures, setbacks and sins of the past and focus on living a life of purity that glorifies God.
- Learn to Forgive: Holding on to the wrongs done you by others will not help your spiritual growth in Christ. One must make a concerted effort to forgive others their trespasses even in God in Christ Jesus has forgiven us our sins. People who have refused to forgive others do not easily overcome other burdens in their lives. Statistics even shows us that people who have ill health and are willing to forgive others recover faster than those who refuse to let go and forgive those who offended them.
- Learn to Pray: Learn the dynamics of prayer. Every child of God ought to pray and not faint. When we pray, we get results. “If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done” The words of Christ. (John 15:7)
Establishing a close relationship with God counts than anything else in the spiritual journey of life. A personal relationship with our maker is a sure way to grow our spiritual life. It will be disastrous on the last day to be told……depart from me, you worker of iniquity……I do not know you. (Matthew 7:23)
Sermon excerpts delivered by Joseph Foray Snr. (Elder). Church of Christ. Oforikrom. Kumasi. Ghana
Other Resources on How to grow Spiritually.
- Increasing in your knowledge and understanding of God and His word. 2 Peter 1:3-8. For His divine power has given us all things that pertains to life and Godliness through the knowledge of Him who has called us to glory and virtue.
- Decreasing in your frequency and severity of sin. Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Romans 12:2) Do not let sin dwell in your mortal bodies……..(Romans 6:12).
- Increasing in Faith and building your trust in God. 1 Peter 1:3 -8
- We grow spiritually by following the examples of Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:1)
- Putting away the old things and becoming a new creature in Christ Jesus. (2 Corinthians 5:17). If anyone be in Christ, He is a new creature….
- Having Life through Jesus Christ. He that hath the Son has life. 1 John 5:11, 12.
- Consistently adding virtues to your Faith. 2 Peter 1:6 -8
- You grow spiritually by realizing that it’s a life long journey of continuously learning through …. teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness to be fully equipped. 2 Timothy 3: 16,17
- By walking in the Spirit and starving the desires of the flesh. Galatians 5:16-18.
- Grow spiritually by bearing the fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5: 22,23. Love, Joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith….
- Grow spiritually by using the scripture as a mirror to reflect your life. James 1:23-25
GOOD HABITS THAT WILL HELP YOU GROW SPIRITUALLY
- Read through the Bible a year. Get an accountability partner to help you stay on track and not lose focus.
- Choose a Book of the Bible to study. Uncover the truth, principles and insight in scripture that will build up your knowledge and faith.
- Study a Topic that helps you grow. Gal 5:22.23
- Participate in weekly Bible studies.
- Read books that deepen your devotional and spiritual life; at least one book a month or every quarter.
- Record your blessings of answered prayers.
- Disciple a young believer.
- Pic a theme for the year and memorize it. EXAMPLE: Psalm 90:12, Gal. 5:16 etc. You can decide on your own scripture to memorize.
Retrieved on 20th Oct. 2019 https://www.allaboutgod.com/spiritual-growth.htm
Retrieved on 20TH Oct, 2019 https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/women/breaking-the-complacency-habit-10-ways-to-grow-spiritually-in-2012.html