Good leadership is essential for church growth and Unity in the body of Christ. The church has had a hard time coming to terms with the role leadership should play and its relationship to fostering unity amongst believers.
The Bible indeed provides us all the answers to questions about church leadership and fostering the unity that Christ talked about.
In the first place, it is God who approves of the various offices of leaders. Some as evangelist, apostles, pastors, teachers, elders etc…… Ephesians 4:11, 12, 13.
What is the role of church leaders in the administration of the church?
1. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of ministry.
2. For the edifying of the body of Christ.
3. To foster unity of purpose and unity of the faith
4. Teaching and sharing the knowledge of Jesus Christ
5. Raising believers to perfection to the measure and stature of the fullness of Christ.
What is the responsibility of members towards church leaders?
(1 Thessalonians 5: 12,13), Hebrews 13:17. Acts 23: 1-5
1. To know them and acknowledge their relevance in the kingdom.
2. To esteem them very highly with love and respect.
3. To appreciate their work and their efforts.
4. To live peaceably with church leaders.
5. Obey them and submitting to them because they watch over your souls.
6. Pray for church leaders always; for they have their weaknesses as well.
7. Members should not be excessively critical of church leaders. Too much criticism weakens leadership. Some find fault with everything and everyone at church. Avoid being a critic in the house of God. Be a positive contributor to supporting the work of God on earth.
Sermonist: Cosmos O. Afriyie (Evangelist-church of Christ-Oforikrom
, Kumasi, Ghana) 9th Nov.2014. Preparation, Compilation and emphasis: Joe Foray jnr.